top of page


Updated: Jan 25, 2022

Teepeeca and FL Translations bring you this brochure with very precise explanations so that you can set up your migration plan to Canada in the simplest way possible.

Decide how you want to come to Canada; there are five basic ways to do it: tourist visa, Express Entry, Provincial Nomination, Work Permit and Study Permit. What is the most appropriate for you?  Choose the best way for you and start working on it. Perhaps you need to improve your English or your French or finish your studies or get more professional experience. While you are on it, you can start getting your documents ready; some of them will take months to be ready, so is a good idea to begin as soon as possible. Don't forget that every document that is not written in English or French should be translated into one of these two languages by certified translators in order to be accepted by the IRCC or the academic institutions. FL Translations can help you with this final step so that your migration process is successfully completed. Don't miss Teepeeca's upcoming videos and learn more details about these and many more migration programs that are not mentioned in this video. Watch the video we are leaving you below about this topic and download the brochure attached at the end of this article so that you can learn more about the options to immigrate to Canada.




There are several ways to come to Canada and we cannot say that there is one that is better or simpler than another. Each way to immigrate has its own lights and shadows and each person must determine which one is the most suitable for their particular situation. For this, we have to take into account the factors to which Canada gives greater importance, such as age, language level, education, work experience, among others. The most important thing, however, is to define what your aspirations and your project of life are if you settle down in Canada.


The first thing you should ask yourself is what your goal is in Canada. Maybe you just want to know the country, or come to work and earn some money to return to your place of origin, you may want to study to return to your homeland and apply there the knowledge acquired or to settle down in Canada after graduating. Let's say you don't know what you want to do yet, let's say that Canada has always intrigued you and you want to know the country before making such an important decision. In that case, we recommend you come to Canada with a tourist visa.

Anyone can come to Canada as a tourist. It is the most natural way to set foot in this country and in many cases; it is only a few clicks away on your computer or even from your mobile. If you are thinking of taking advantage and working a little or taking some courses while you are on a tourist visa, be advised: if you come with a tourist visa, you will not have authorization to work or to study in courses that last more than six months, or whatever your visa lasts, you can only do tourism.


The Express Entry (EE) has been in effect since January 2015 and its main mission is to guarantee a quick migration process, six months or less. The EE has a pool that works as a sort of ranking system by points, in which each person is awarded a certain amount of points according to different factors, such as age, level of education, English or French language level, work experience, among others. This is called Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). A person's CRS will determine their place in this ranking or pool.

To create a profile in the EE, we must go to and provide all the information requested by the Canadian Ministry of Immigration. The Government of Canada usually conducts invitation rounds through the IRCC for permanent residence every other Wednesday. The EE has three main variants: the Federal Program for Professionals (Federal Skilled Worker Program - FSWP), Canadian Experience (Canadian Experience Class - CEC) and Skilled Workers (Trade Skills). Your profile must fit into one of these three categories to receive an ITA.

Creating a profile in the EE is completely free, as is the associated Jobbank profile that you must create as part of the EE entry process. The profile will be valid for one year from the moment of its creation and it is the responsibility of the candidate to renew it and keep all the information updated.


There are several programs to immigrate to Canada that you can also access from your country; however, most of them require you to have a job offer in Canada.

Generally speaking, these offers must have a special permit known as Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This is a permit that Canadian employers must obtain in order to hire a foreign worker. Obtaining this permit is not easy, it has a cost of CAD 1000.00 and its approval can take up to six months, which is why very few employers are willing to undergo the process to obtain it and are dedicated to looking for employees already in Canada with a valid work permit.

There are some examples that do not require an LMIA, these are the Atlantic Pilot Program and the Rural and North Immigration Pilot Program, which we have already talked about in previous episodes of Teepeeca. Basically, if you have a job offer in one of the regions included in one of these programs, you can apply for permanent residence and come to Canada with the right foot, provided that you fulfill the rest of the requirements. In upcoming Teepeeca episodes we will give you more details about each of these programs and many others that do not require LMIA or job offer.


Some of the nomination programs are related to the EE. In this case, the province enters the EE pool in search of candidates that meet their requirements and sends them a Notification of Interest (NOI), which is a letter expressing their interest in you going to live in this province as a permanent resident. If you agree, then the province tells you the steps to follow to complete the nomination process.

There are also other nomination programs related to the most demanded occupations in each province, there are programs for international graduates, for people with work experience or emotional ties in the province and many others. You just have to enter the official website of each province and explore the immigration options they have available and the selection criteria.


Coming to Canada as a student is the best way to start your life here; this is what the country needs and that is why it is a priority. Canada needs to solve its pressing demographic problem and it is statistically proven that immigrants constitute a large percentage in solving this problem. However, Canada is not interested in populating the country with people who are not willing to successfully integrate into the labor market and become a social burden for the country.

Most employers grant strong preference to applicants who can demonstrate studies in Canada, as such studies represent a guarantee that they will adapt easier to the work environment and that they have the specific soft skills and knowledge of the Canadian market. Another advantage of entering Canada with a study permit is that international students have the possibility to come with their family. The accompanying spouse is granted an open work permit, so he or she can find work in any occupation, with any employer and under any type of contract.


If you are not from an English or French-speaking country, you will need to take an extra step in any of your immigration processes. We refer of course to the translation of all your documents into one of the two official languages of Canada: English or French. This is an essential step in any immigration process because the IRCC will always require documents, such as passports, marriage certificates, criminal records, bank statements and others, translated into the official languages of the country. Academic institutions will also require diplomas and transcripts, among other relevant documents, also accompanied by an official translation. An employer, in turn, can ask you for a resume in English or French. In short, you must translate your entire life history and legal documents into the languages of Canada. The IRCC and educational institutions require that such translations are performed by a certified translator in Canada or, instead of that, by a translator who can submit a legalized affidavit by a competent authority recognized in Canada.

Teepeeca recommends using the certified translation services of FL Translations, which is our translation agency, based in Calgary, Canada. FL Translations has extensive experience in translating legal documents for immigration purposes and has an excellent portfolio of certified translators in Canada, in more than 50 languages.


60 views1 comment

1 comentário

24 de jan. de 2020

I immigrated as an international student because I didn't have a better option to come to Canada at that moment, but now I feel blessed for having that opportunity. It is really expensive, but it is the best investment someone can do in his/her own future.

bottom of page